does D already have too many language features ?

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:57:16 UTC 2022

On Monday, 28 March 2022 at 08:36:01 UTC, zeno56 wrote:
> On Monday, 8 April 2019 at 09:46:06 UTC, adam77 wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I started using D as an alternative to Java, what attracted me
>> to D was the robust memory management (including the way
>> arrays are handled), and interoperability with C (specifically
>> libraries) so far so good, but almost every language out there
>> (maybe with the exception of C) seems the eschew language
>> stability in favour of adopting whatever the latest fad is in
>> programming languages features. I see on forums for a number
>> of languages how features like lambda's or auto properties are
>> essential to their language or if they are missing some
>> feature how its a major detriment to the language. I sometimes
>> wonder how a Turing machine could ever manage...
>>
>> [...]
>
> See how many D users shout if you recommend particular features
> to delete. There will always be zealous users of almost every
> feature.

OK this is an old thread, but I think that when adam77 actually
tries writing a web server in Turing machine ticker tape, he'll
soon realise that in fact Turing machines *don't* manage, and
those extra features are actually really useful. As for where you
draw the line on all those extra features.... yes, less is
sometimes more.