Why is D unpopular?

ShadoLight ettienne.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun May 1 20:32:54 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 07:05:28 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Decades before D was even an idea.
>>>
>>> Again, SIGPLAN.
>>
>> So why did other native languages suddenly start doing it
>> after D did to the point of it being something a language
>> can't skip anymore?
>
> They didn't, they got inspired by those that preceded D, you
> just want to believe D was the cause.

Walter may be suffering from a bit of confirmation bias, but
aren't you doing the same thing?

You are arguing that in the sequence A, B, C, D, E, ...

where (let's say, using your own examples):

A (Lisp, 1962) .., B(Interlisp, 1983), C(Allegro Common, 1985),
... D(DMD), E, ...

...you are arguing that it is impossible that some feature(s) of
E could have been inspired by D, only by prior languages (any or
some combination of A, B & C .. and others preceding D). How do
you know they only (to quote you) *"got inspired by those that
preceded D"*?

Walter's original quote was *"Other languages have taken
inspiration from D, such as ranges and compile time expression
evaluation."*

So 'E' above is *"other languages"* with *"ranges and compile
time expression evaluation"*.

So let's see - I can quote from this 2013 ACCU article named "C++
Range and Elevation" [1], which references a talk by Andrei in
2009:

*"Back in 2009, Andrei Alexandrescu gave a presentation at the
ACCU Conference about Ranges. The short version is that although
you can represent a range in C++98 using a pair of iterators, the
usage is cumbersome..."*

*"And all that’s just using the iterators the C++ Standard
Library gives you; defining your own iterator is notoriously
complex. So, Andrei introduced a much simpler – and more powerful
– abstraction: the Range [ Alexandrescu09 ]"*

*"There have been a few attempts to implement Andrei’s ideas in
C++ (he implemented them for D, and they form the basis of the D
Standard Library)...etc..."*

So, articles in relation to C++ mention prior work done by Andrei
on ranges, mention attempts to achieve the same in C++, mentions
the difficulties, etc... and this was all way back in 2013.

And this, according to you, had zero impact on proposals in C++
regarding ranges?

Similarly to Walter's assertion (without evidence), aren't you
just asserting the opposite (also without evidence)? I mean, let
alone any other languages, how do you know this **for certain**
just about C++?

[1]: https://accu.org/journals/overload/21/117/love_1833/