Why is D unpopular?

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Sun May 1 20:39:36 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 08:14:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Of interpreters that later generated native code. Not the other
> way around.

I don't quite understand why you insist on native code. Do
compilers to bytecode count? There used to be a language called
Nemerle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemerle), which had been
mentioned on these forums many times, long before D got CTFE. The
earliest mention I found is
https://forum.dlang.org/post/ca56h1$2k4h$1@digitaldaemon.com. It
had very powerful macros, which could be used as compile time
functions, AST macros, and whatnot. The language is now dead
because it was too good for humans.

>> However, I was responding to the other of your claims, which
>> is - nobody asked for CTFE. I doubt it because the factorial
>> implemented with templates is the first thing a new-born C++
>> programmer sees, and her first words are "Template
>> metaprogramming is an abomination. Why can't we just evaluate
>> functions at compile time?".
>
> You would think they would have, as many said it was an
> abomination. But they never said the next.
>
> There were many, many articles about using C++ templates as a
> Turing complete programming language. Find one that said "why
> can't we ..."
>
> Find one and I'll buy you a beer at DConf!

I think Nemerle deserves a case of beer.