Why is D unpopular?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 21:00:23 UTC 2022

On 5/1/22 00:12, Araq wrote:
 > On Sunday, 1 May 2022 at 02:18:37 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
 >> > The tooling problems that result from
 >> > `static if` are real.
 >>
 >> Oh! I must have missed their point.
 >
 > I cannot tell if you're sarcastic

I wasn't in a good mood yesterday. I apologize for that but I was only
half sarcastic as most. :)

I think the authors desperately held on to one idea that they could
prove to be correct. One truth does not make all their points correct.

 > or not but the major point of
 > contention is the scoping involved, `static if` doesn't introduce a new
 > scope (and that's a feature) whereas C++'s `if constexpr` does introduce
 > a scope. This really does make quite a difference for tooling.

C++ is not in a position to fake that it cares about tooling. That train
has already landed... (What? :p)

Although tooling is a good point againts the proposal to discuss, it is
nothing important to make anyone to write a paper to preemptively kill a
proposal. After all, they could write (or say) that another token might
be used. How about the angle brackets?

   static if (condition) <
     // ...

Solved. :)