Why is D unpopular?

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Mon May 2 07:10:18 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 07:05:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/1/2022 11:15 PM, FeepingCreature wrote:
>> [...]
>
> It's a cool way to make it work. But I don't think it changes
> the nature of what I was talking about.

That's fair, I'm kind of jumping in on the tail end of the
discussion. So I'm probably missing a lot of context. I guess I
just wanted to highlight that having compiletime in-language
macros doesn't commit you to a compilation model that weakens the
compiletime/runtime boundary. Anyway, I just have a hard time of
seeing how the CLR target relates to this. Just because Nemerle
targeted the CLR doesn't make it an interpreted language with
regard to CTFE, because targeting the CLR doesn't actually buy
you any simplicity in this. You can compile to code that is then
loaded back into the running context just as easily on x86 as on
CLR. For the purpose of compiler design, the CLR is just a
processor, no?