Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:07:17 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 08:57:21 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> The concept of "windowing" + "overlapp add" to reduce artifacts
> is quite old, e.g the Harris Window is [1978]. Dont known for
> better ones (typically Hanning).
> This doubles the amount of FFT required for a frame but you
> seem to say this was technically possible.

Yes, I assume anyone who knows about FFT also knows the theory
for windowing? The theoretically "optimal" one for analysis is
DPSS, although Kaiser is basicially the same, but I never use
those.

I use 4x not 2x and Hann^2 (cos*cos) as the window function for
simplicity. The reason for this is that when you heavily modify
the frequency content you need to window it again. So you
multiply with cos(t) twice, but when you add them together the
sum = 1. Probably not optimal, but easy to deal with for
experiments.

I also believe it is possible to use Hann-Poisson for analysis.
It has excessive spectral leakage, but supposedly allows you to
accurately find the peaks as the flanks for the spectral leakage
are monotone (smooth slope) so you can use hill climbing. But I
doubt you can use this for resynthesis.

What you could do is use Hann-Poisson for detecting peaks and
then use another window function for resynthesis. I will try this
some day :-).