Why is D unpopular?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:44:24 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 11:19:18 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> I guess they find excitement in it, where I think of it as poor
> mastering. And I guess in some genres it is now considered bad
> mastering if you don't use excessive compression.

I don't think there is any real reason to trust one own taste, as
taste is socially constructed (cf. La Distinction from Bourdieu)
and - simplifying - it reflects too much of your socioeconomic
background to be significative. Music in particular particularly
reflects that.

> The french music scene might be different? French "electro"
> seemed more refined/sophisticated in the sound than many other
> "similar" genres, but this is only my impression, which could
> be wrong.

French hiphop was amazing (and is popular) from 2017 to ~2021 but
I don't think we have something interesting otherwise. French
electro is much less interesting than the Argentinian progressive
house scene for example, and that's just my opinion again. A lot
of good music gets produced in niches, to get completely ignored
nowadays, so it would be hard to say what scene is interesting ;
we all get to miss it anyway.

> I didn't understand this one, do you mean that musicians
> misunderstand what is causing the effect so that they think
> that it is caused by the main effect, but instead it caused by
> the internal delay of the unit? Or did you mean something else?

Oversampling typically produces:
A. a phase shift
B. anti-aliasing

but because aliasing is a tiny problem in dynamics processing in
the first place, people choose to use it while hearing only (A).
Which can sound good by itself. The by-product becomes more
desirable than the non-problem it solves. Now everyone wants the
feature!

> I do hear a difference when listening to my own mix (maybe
> because I've spent so many hours analysing it).

If a typically polished song is listened as MP3, then MP3 becomes
the norm.
And then what-everyone-else-is-doing sounds sincerely better to
our ears. A process you could call "legitimation".

I had a strange conversation about Autotune once with a 20 years
old:
- an heavily autotuned voice sounded "normal" and not-autotuned
to her
- but the _talkbox_ in Kavinsky - Nightcall sounded ugly to her
and "autotuned". She mentionned of course she didn't like the
Autotune. But was unable to identify it in practice.