Why is D unpopular?

claptrap clap at trap.com
Mon May 2 14:34:24 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 08:52:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 01:43:03 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>>>
> However, the concept of decomposing sound into spectral
> components in order to modify or improve on the resulting sound
> has been an active field ever since ordinary computers were
> able to run FFT in reasonable time. So there is no reason to
> claim that someone suddenly woke up with this obvious idea that
> nobody had thought about before. It comes down to executing and
> hitting a wave (being adopted).

It was adopted because it was revolutionary, it took something
that was a tedious and difficult manual task and made it
ridiculously easy. It wasn't about fashion or getting a few
bigwig producers to make it popular.

And maybe other people had thought to themselves "wouldn't it be
cool if we had some tool to automatically re-tune the vocals". I
mean "wouldnt it be cool if we could take this tedious manual
task and automate it somehow" is probably the main driver of
invention.

But to focus on that does a disservice to what is involved in
actually getting it to work, and especially so in real time.

I used to loiter in a forum for audio software developers and you
know how often people come in and post "I have this great idea
for a product and I just need someone to implement it and we'll
make loads of money", it was all the time, so much so that there
was a sticky at the top of the forum telling people why it's dumb
thing to post.

Genius isn't having the idea, it's more often than not making the
idea work.