Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:36:46 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 15:39:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 13:44:24 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
>> Oversampling typically produces:
>> A. a phase shift
>> B. anti-aliasing
>
> I don't think I understand what you mean by oversampling. Why
> does sampling at 96kHz instead of 48kHz have any sonic impact?
> It shouldn't?

Having thought some about this. Do you mean in AD-converters or
in DSP? I don't know too much about state of the art AD-circuits,
but I would imagine that they use a higher internal sample rate
so that they can use an analog filter that does not affect the
audible signal in a destructive way, followed by a digital
correction filter followed by decimating? The result ought to be
neutral?

Or are you talking about side-effects from low pass filters in
the DSP process, moving the knee (-3dB) of the filter out of the
audible range by using oversampling? But regardless, you should
be able to use a phase-correcting allpass filter, if desired…?

I am not trying to be difficult, but I am trying to understand
the context.