Why is D unpopular?

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Tue May 3 07:34:06 UTC 2022

On Monday, 2 May 2022 at 20:24:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> It sounds just like how Lisp, Java, and C# work. Nemerle even
> uses the same interpreter/code generator as C#.

C# can't do CTFE. For example, in C#, you can't generate code
(without resorting to hacks) at compile time based on UDAs the
way you can in Nemerle or D. In C#, you usually process UDAs at
runtime. I guess that is what you mean when you say "it needs
compiler runtime at runtime". Yes, C# needs one because it must
defer code generation to runtime.