Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:28:25 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 3 May 2022 at 11:55:25 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I give up, as you clearly can't accept a compiled language from
> 1960, about 30 years older than D, so why bother when it will
> be dismissed no matter what.

I guess humans are disposed for being romantic about technology
and advances.

Fortunately as more people get higher education it becomes quite
apparent that steady progress is the consequences of communities
and not of individuals, it makes society much more robust! Modern
programming languages are just "artistic expressions" of the
aggregate ideas from the community of programming language
research. It is all about finding the right mix of features and
syntax, not really about the big groundbreaking ideas.

Re, the idea further up the that that 100 Elon Musks would make a
big difference, it would just mean that you would have 100 people
competing for hype in the press and competing for the same high
risk willing capital, most likely ending with 100 underfunded
expensive prestige projects. Wouldn't do anything for society.

The romantic view of technological progress is totally
unrealistic! (but very seducing as nobody likes to be an ant in a
hive)