Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:46:39 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 4 May 2022 at 06:29:55 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> Native code is indeed not *exactly* native code however calling
> a CPU an interpreter is either false or requires such a loose
> definition of interpreter that it loses most of its descriptive
> power.

In this context there is no difference between a VM and hardware.
If you can build hardware for the VM they should be considered
similar.

  > Basically all CPUs translate an ISA into some kind of
> internal state, big processors just happen to have an extra

The term RISC came into use to distinguish those that did require
decoding from those that did not.

> Also, I suppose this is mostly nomenclature, the instructions
> are translated into micro-operations/uops whereas microcode as
> a term is usually reserved for either extremely

Microcode refers to the instruction sequence that is used
internally after decoding.