Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:15:23 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 15:26:52 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> I'm not looking down on insects. Quite the opposite - I'm
> defending their flexibility against common misconceptions over
> their hyper specialization.

What makes insects more adaptable than humans when disasters hit
is that they are so simple and many that they can adapt through
genetic mutations. Poor analogy for D, but it would be a great
analogy in favour of LISP!

Anyway, most imperative languages are more or less equally
powerful and have very similar features (in the abstract).

That was not the point.

The point was that you need to retain dedicated users over time
in order to build an eco system. It is not even strictly about
how many users you've got or the expressiveness of the language.
What those users are interested in and the "gravity" of their
libraries can then cause a formation of a niche around that
language. If they leave early, then you cannot sustain an eco
system, nor grow a niche.

Think of it in terms of gravity.