Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:52:30 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 17:30:46 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 16:15:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> The point was that you need to retain dedicated users over
>> time in order to build an eco system.
>
> http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2022_05_02.html

Well written article, but supporting @safe and @nogc is optional,
so isn't that a self-imposed burden by authors? I'm inclined to
believe that authors giving up on libraries have other causes,
but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it is very difficult to grow the eco-system until you
have retention, until then "gravity" won't happen. And without
gravity you won't have enough maintainers of a library to sell
stability…

It is great to see that Max has joined SDC, by browsing through
the repo it looks like a lot of effort has gone into it! That is
the kind of "gravity" that you need. If you have two highly
active developers, you might get three and so on… Increasing
belief in the long term viability of the project.