Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:00:03 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 10 May 2022 at 04:16:32 UTC, Joshua wrote:
> Worse, these build systems’ support for mixing languages is
> mostly superficial. Rust’s Cargo, for example, or Go’s Get, are
> neither optional nor easy to integrate into other build systems.

I am a bit puzzled by your experience. It is not uncommon to use
"vendoring" of libraries in Go, so I am not quite sure why you
feel bound to something specific. Granted Go have other issues
that are annoying, e.g. no exceptions and not the best
abstraction mechanism.

That said, D seems to have switched focus from C++ to C lately,
so it might be a good fit for your needs. The tradeoff is that
you cannot have a modern GC and also have good C interop.