The point of const, scope, and other attributes

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 11 05:15:00 UTC 2022

The C++ checker did gripe about some of the debug printf format strings not
quite matching the arguments, such as printing a pointer with %x. The errors
were benign, though. printf format mismatch was another situation where I wrote
lots of bugs.

But that experience helped push me towards getting D to do printf format
checking. The checking doesn't find bugs anymore in existing code, because those
errors never make it through a compilation. It also trained me to not make those
mistakes anymore.

So is that useful? Hell yes. I don't even have to bother checking the formats
anymore when reviewing code. Neither need anyone else. Ain't that the shiznit?
Why didn't we do that eons ago? Sigh.