GDC 11.3/12.1 -m32: Illegal instruction (core dumped) [SSE, Pentium III]

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Fri May 13 04:13:44 UTC 2022

On 13/05/2022 3:33 PM, kdevel wrote:
> I have checked the build log: The D runtime has been compiled with
> `-m32`. According to GCC's documentation [2] the option `-m32` means
> “The -m32 option [...] generates code that runs on any i386 system.”
> Obviously this is not the case:

Newer x86 machines have the SSE2 extension.

Which was first introduced on Pentium 4's and has been in place on
pretty much all x86 chips since 2003. So emitting it as a default is fine.

Unfortunately I think you're stuck building your own runtime (and
possibly compiler) if you want D to run on such an old cpu like this
(said by someone who has a P3 and a P4 sitting beside me).