Why is D unpopular?

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:12:38 UTC 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 13:04:24 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
> One thing I've not understood is why Walter decided not to
> integrate warp ... I don't remember a clear motivation of this
> choice

Using system headers means compatibility with the system
preprocessor, which might have strange proprietary quirks.

I don't know how much of a problem that is in practice (the
current importC guidelines are to just #define away half the
header), but that is the reasoning behind it.

But you can still use the system preprocessor. There's an open PR
to just shell out to it. Just this still leaves it less capable
than dstep already is due to no work with the defined constants.

This is why I wrote this mixin c proposal in last October. Max
has started experimenting with it, so there's hope. (And it is
just a proposal I wrote up in the middle of a call, it might be
horribly useless too, but nobody has actually made an argument
yet. Seems the only way to get D leadership attention is to troll
comments on Hacker News.)