Why is D unpopular?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri May 13 23:50:47 UTC 2022

On Friday, 13 May 2022 at 23:33:42 UTC, forkit wrote:
> I think 'why is D unpopular' can be answered by D's biggest
> mistake.
>
> Which was, to not move away from C (i.e. differentiate itself
> from C).
>
> Instead, it tries to offer you the future, while being tied to
> the past.

I guess so, C++ is the only realistic continuation of the past
and will remain so for another 30 years. In order to take that
lead you have to embrace C++ in a way that is future compatible...

The future of low level is a language that draws on rust and
typescript sprinkled with some ideas from C++ and research on
verification. It does not exist yet and will need decades to
become mature.