Why is D unpopular?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun May 15 11:34:42 UTC 2022

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 03:02:24AM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 02:38:12 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 02:30:52 UTC, forkit wrote:
> >
> > > Who has the time to be (continually) well-versed in both D and C?
> >
> > That's kind of the point. With ImportC, you don't *have* to be
> > well-versed in C if you need to use a C library.
>
> Integrating a library whose code you're not well versed in, seems like
> a recipe for disaster.
[...]

So you'd rather reinvent every C library out there that you need for
your project, just because it's not written in D?  Pretty much every OS
API out there is, under the hood, written in C.  Would you reinvent your
own OS too, just because existing OSes aren't written in D?

If I were deciding whether to start a new project and my choices are (1)
use an existing C library that provides a critical part of the
functionality I need, vs. (2) rewrite said C library from scratch
because it's not written in D, guess which option I'm gonna choose. And
guess which option is going to keep my business going, as opposed to
sinking my project in the amount of resources/programmer time needed to
write it from scratch.

I mean, I admire your ideals, but you can't just start from zero every
time.  You wouldn't be able to fly past your own backyard that way.
*Somewhere* along the line you have to stand on the shoulders of
existing technology and take off from there, rather than reinventing
fire with sticks and stones just because whoever originally discovered
fire didn't use D to do it.

Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth