ImportC can now automatically run the preprocessor

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon May 16 06:13:00 UTC 2022

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 03:59:30 UTC, max haughton wrote:

> Unless you have a magic wand or a time machine I don't see how
> this line of argument has any relevance to the practice of
> writing software that actually does anything other than making
> the machine get hot.

We're talking about the difference between D communicating with
the 'outside' world (which as we *both* argue, is required), and
D going 'all out' to bring the outside world in (which is not
necessarily something I'm on board with).

D had no problem interacting with C before ImportC. ImportC does
not assist here.

You can actually write C code in D anyway. ImportC does not
assist here either.

We are no longer talking about a lingua franca to communicate
with the outside world. We're talking about ensuring that the
tyrannny of C becomes a bigger part of our world. That's the
promise of ImportC.

> One thing I'd also like to note is that once the C has been
> turned into the D AST you actually can almost get it to emit D
> code that represents the C

This I'd be on board with. 100%.