ImportC can now automatically run the preprocessor

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon May 16 09:52:21 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 14 May 2022 at 21:05:09 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> As https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/14121 has been merged, the
> following #ImportC program can now be compiled and run:
>
>   #include <stdio.h>
>
>   void main()
>   {
>     printf("hello ImportC!\n");
>   }
>
> It's been a longer and windy-er road than I'd anticipated, but
> isn't that the way all software projects work?
>
> Next up:
>
> 1. passing dmd command line arguments to the preprocessor
>
> 2. capturing the #define macro dump from the preprocessor, so
> it can be mined for macros that can be translated to D symbols
> (anticipating leveraging Atila's great dpp work on this)

I don't understand where this is going at all. At first, I
thought that this was able being able to import c (as the name
would suggest), which seems super useful, but now it seems to be
evolving into a full blow C compiler and I have no idea why I
would want that. I already have several on my machine, and they
are extremely high quality.