Why is D unpopular?

zoujiaqing zoujiaqing at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:35:14 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:27:25 UTC, Dr Machine Code
wrote:
> It got [asked on
> reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/q74bzr/why_is_d_unpopular/) sub but for those that aren't active too, I'd like you opinions. Please don't get me wrong, I also love D, I've used it everywhere I can and I'd say it's my favourite language (yes I have one...) but I'm as as the reddit's OP, trying to understand why it's unpopular. Rust and Go seeming to be getting more and more users. I think it's due to large ecosystem and the big corporations with deep pockets that pushes them. But I'd like to know you all opinions

Two aspects:

First of all:
D The biggest problem is the name! Of course, many people deny
this problem.
If you search for a letter in a search engine, it's hard to get
valid results.
For example, a Google search for "D" results in comparison to a
search for "Python," "Ruby," and "rust."
This has the undesirable effect of making it difficult for new
users to find learning materials.

Second:
The standard library is weak, and the most basic HTTP modules are
probably well supported in Python, Golang, and Rust, making it
easy to build HTTP servers and use HTTP clients to access HTTP
server resources. Even the most basic URL parsing is missing from
the D standard library. I think the library should have a better
experience with python and Golang.

-- zoujiaqing