Why is D unpopular?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon May 16 10:41:21 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 17:21:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> 3. even so, when faced with a large, complex project, there's
> just no business case for doing a conversion

This is indeed the biggest problem after a translation, since the
social structure that made that software being written and
maintained in the first place do not exist for the fork. It might
works, but receive no maintenance, performance enhancements, etc.

For example in July 2021 I re-translated parts of stb-image to
v2.27 and got a +30%/+45% performance improvement in PNG loading.
If I were using an ideal ImportC I would just have to copy the
new header to the codebase.

So ImportC will help keeping up with dependencies that improves
over time instead of being cast in stone. The security argument
is moot, this will enhance security of D programs.