Why is D unpopular?

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:10:36 UTC 2022

Again: I won't answer you inevitable next message; because my
time seems to be more limited.

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 11:18:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> I believe MS has totally revamped their compiler suite and all
> writings on this topic suggests that they are leading in
> implementing C++20.

I'm not sure why do you even bring Microsoft? I found more bugs
in ICC than MSVC fwiw.
MSVC has worse codegen, error messages, than clang, and I don't
see a reason why that would change. MSVC has not undergo a new
rewrite, it's part by part.

> Whatever has been true in the past may not hold in 2022.

I stand by my words, having done maintenance for both C++ and D
projects for more than 6 years each, that D requires less
work/debt to keep it up to date with compilers, especially
because the front-end is the same and stdlib also the same.
Moreover, the experience is like night and day, with D being far
less heavy on mental load.