Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon May 16 18:31:32 UTC 2022

On 5/16/2022 1:33 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> It's very easy to start a new project on a whim in any language, but getting it
> to the state you're aiming for and maintaining it long-term require discipline
> and commitment. Talk to people who actually maintain projects long-term to see
> what their take is.

Yup. The last 1% takes 99% of the time.

My old C and C++ projects all suffered from bit rot. This is due to a variety of
factors, like:

1. the language changes
2. the compilers get stricter
3. implementation defined behavior changes
4. undefined behavior changes
5. portability problems
6. build system changes
7. operating system changes

Heck, just reworking it to be a git repository takes time and effort.