Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon May 16 22:35:00 UTC 2022

On Monday, 16 May 2022 at 15:08:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> The biggest impact IMHO is that the threshold for *trying out*
> C-libraries is lowered. If you have to create your own binding
> your are essentially "locked in" due to the effort you spent
> just to get started.
>
> The larger the C-library is and the more frequently it is
> updated, the more impactful this feature might be.

You just summarised my argument for why ImportC == 'here be
dragons' ;-)

D's focus should be 10 years ahead, not 30 years behind.

Just imagine Rust/Go implementing a C compiler inside their own
compiler They'd be laughing stock (not because it's wrong or
silly, but because they took the initiative to step further awat
from C, not further towards it).