Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:03:14 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 23:11:28 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 18:47:22 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 May 2022 at 06:18:58 UTC, forkit wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, operating systems of the (near) future will require
>>> safety guarantees from the software that is intended to run
>>> on that operating system. C is not a language that
>>> facilitates this.
>>>

>> Um, no that will not happen, ever. The safety guarantee of
>> modern operating systems is and will be the MMU. Relying on
>> "safe" software will never be enough. There have been attempts
>> using safe intermediary languages like Microsoft Singularity
>> but don't expect this ever to be a commercial operating
>> system. The MMU is here to stay.
>
> I don't think the choice of language is going to make much
> difference but I'd be surprised if Apple don't do something
> along these lines in the future. They already scan and analyse
> applications relatively aggressive for mobile and to an extent
> for MacOS too.

The choice of language can eliminate a whole class of bugs.

It can also ensure the likelihood of a whole class of bugs.

I'm sure you know this of course. I'm just stating the obvious.

Fortunately, many get this, and are actively researching ways to
move away from C - e.g.
https://github.com/tock/tock/blob/master/doc/Design.md

If Apple is not already doing very extensive research in this
area, I'd be ...rather shocked.

In the meantime, over here in the D community, we're actively
seeking even more ways to get closer to C :-(