Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:57:44 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 00:50:53 UTC, max haughton wrote:

> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust-bindgen
>
> It's not built in to the compiler but it's officially supported
> by the Rust foundation.

in the hands of advanced Rustcracians who come from a C
background, I don't feel too uncomfortable with this.

in the same way I don't feel uncomfortable about Walter using
ImportC (given his extensive expertise in C and D).

but making it easily available for the mass of beginners out
there (and even the mass of intermediates), worries me. C is
profoundly unsafe.

I'd rather they were focused on safer programming practices ;-)

Of course, the C ABI is so simple, it's always going to be
temptation to interact with it. Couple that with all the C code
out there, the tempation is very high indeed.

How on earth are we ever going to move the world of software away
from C?

The answer is ( I suspect) - when mass societal consequences
occur (e.g. a cyber war outbreak or some really widespread
consequential disaster - and we end finding out, they targeted
all our C platforms.

Only then will we have sufficient impetus to get off our butts
and do something about our extensive reliance on what is
arguably, the most unsafe language of all -> C.