Why is D unpopular?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue May 17 21:09:40 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 20:21:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 9:54 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Not really, as the numbers show
>>
>> https://www.infoq.com/news/2022/03/jrebel-report-2022/
>
> It doesn't mention Kotlin.

It surely does, read the graphic with attention, 8%.

And yes it is more used than Scala and Groovy, which score even
lower, also with great Java interoperability as well.

>> What was crucial for Kotlin's adoption was Google's decision
>> to push Kotlin ("my way or the highway") for anything new on
>> Android frameworks, while stagnating Java support on purpose.
>
> I'm sure that helped. But I've seen it mentioned many times
> that Kotlin being able to access all the old Java code was
> crucial.

Reality in the JVM ecosystem proves otherwise, also this only
applies up to Java 7 constructs, Kotlin hardly gets any of the
newer goodies up to Java 18.

Additionally it now tries to have a foot in native, JavaScript
and Android, which compromises its design in regards to host
platforms.