Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:54:05 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 18:19:01 UTC, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> Why is D unpopular? Well let's see.
> Until you pull your heads out of your asses and make the damn
> compiler actually accessible to anyone who isn't already an
> expert on bootstrapping this overcomplicated piece of shit,
> then sadly, I have no use at all for D. I'll bet there's many
> others in the same boat also.

These comments are actually very common, and entirely reasonable
(although not necessarily correct in their detail).

They arise from 'expectations' (which are usually reasonable, but
not always so).

But how does a 'volunteer' project (like dlang) address such
expectations?

Well, often the default response is 'well, why don't you pitch
in?'.

That response, often used, is usually not helpful.

dlang first needs strong leadership, vision, goals, priorities,
benchmarks, KPI's .... ( as you would get in a commercially
driven project).

from that, you attract and obtain your best resources ( to work
on that agenda).

A project that lets anyone do whatever they feel like doing
(their own agenda), is never going to be 'popular'(as in never
going to be widely popular like other languages).