Why is D unpopular?

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:14:29 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 18:58:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/18/2022 8:34 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
>> Moreover, after DIP1030 is implemented, D wants to deprecate
>> anonymous struct literals entirely, which makes me the
>> unhappiest man in the world.
>
> DIP1030 is not moving forward.

Named arguments (the important part of DIP1030) will happen.

This week in particular I'm going to refactor the compilers
notion of function arguments into a struct that can represent
both the semantically lowered by also original lexical order of
arguments.

Previously I tried doing this as additional data but it just
became extremely hard to work with. I got named arguments working
for non-templated functions but I could never get the logic
covering all cases for all the difference flavours of template
matching in the compiler.

Unifying all this to one notion of arguments should massively
simplify resulting logic.