Why is D unpopular?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed May 18 19:36:32 UTC 2022

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 07:26:28PM +0000, max haughton via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 at 19:20:58 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 07:08:59PM +0000, max haughton via Digitalmars-d
> > wrote:
> > [...]
> > > In this case it's actually a really good idea because politically
> > > it forces people to try and look after the C++ header interface.
> > >
> > > One day it'll likely be more automated but until that automation
> > > can detect nasty changes it's better to have the frontend.h diff
> > > be extremely obvious.
> >
> > What nasty changes are there?
[...]
> You'll have to ask Iain and Martin since they are on the front lines
> but it is very easy to break the C++ interface to the compiler if you
> so wish.

Ah I got it, we have to preserve the C++ interface in order to integrate
with the LLVM/GCC backends, right?

In that case, if I were put in the same situation, I'd auto-generate a
.di from the C++ .h instead.  Basically, I'm wary of maintaining two
parallel versions of the same thing, because the chances of human error
causing them to go out of sync is just too high.  Let the machine do
what it's best at; leave the human to do what humans are good at, which
is NOT repetitive tasks that require high accuracy.

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn. -- Brian White