Why is D unpopular?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 18 20:25:14 UTC 2022

On 5/18/2022 12:32 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/17/2022 2:11 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> Easy, they did a whole talk on the matter,
>>
>> https://www.adacore.com/nvidia
>
> Sweet! Thanks

I watched the video, thanks. The technical issues mentioned:

1. no buffer overflows
2. no undefined behavior
3. no integer overflow
4. no integer divide by zero
5. pre and post conditions
6. prover
7. zero overhead interfacing with C
8. easy mix&match Ada and C code
9. ranged integers
10. C-like syntax

The prover seems to rely on proving the pre- and post- conditions are met by the
function. Some years ago I tried this out on Spark, and found it was very
limited (it was unable to deal with things like AND and OR in expressions). But
perhaps that has improved over time.

D (in @safe code) has:

1, 5, 7, 8, 9

I know that @safe code eliminates a lot of undefined behavior, and we should
check into eliminating all of it.

SPARC is unable to fulfill its goal without adding runtime checks, as the
presentation talked about the need to use switches that eliminated those checks.