Should you be able to initialize a float with a char?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:09:18 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 19 May 2022 at 14:33:14 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> I hope we are not depending on the type system to the degree
> where a bool must be an integer in order to have this kind of
> optimization.
>
> -Steve

It is routine to use different types in the front end and
backend. Types in the front are there for semantic, correctness,
and generally help the developper. Types in the backend are there
to help the optimizer and the code generator.

bool is going to be an integer in the backend, for sure. This
doesn't mean it has to in the frontend.