Why is D unpopular, redux.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:28:38 UTC 2022

So I was catching up with he humongous thread. What stroke me in
there is that almost everybody is missing the point, but maybe
that isn't so surprising, as there is a self selection bias at
play.

I especially noticed this post:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/kkmlkebnsbembkispcya@forum.dlang.org

Apparently, we are getting named argument soon. I have no opinion
whether this is good or bad, I haven't even read he proposal. But
I don't need to to know this is pretty bad for D, even if the
proposal is really good.

I'd like to remind everybody of a simple fact: it is impossible
to write a high quality generic container in D, right now. This
is because there is no way to explain to the compiler that a
`const Vector!T` is the same as a `const Vector!(const T)`.

There is no syntactic sugar, no optimization, no static analysis,
no nothing that can compensate for this, just like it doesn't
matter how comfortable the seat are on a car which has no wheels.

On the other hand, this will yet again break many tools, setting
the ecosystem back once again. This same pattern has been
repeating for at least a decade by now.