[OT] Re: Should you be able to initialize a float with a char?

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Fri May 20 12:14:13 UTC 2022

On Friday, 20 May 2022 at 11:54:47 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Friday, 20 May 2022 at 03:45:23 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> I didn't know the Aussies and Brits used umlauts.
>
> C'mon, even the NY times (?, used to) spells it "cöperate", and
> other repeated vowels contractions to single umlaut.

Coöperate. (It's known as a diaeresis in English):
"The diaeresis diacritic indicates that two adjoining letters
that would normally form a digraph and be pronounced as one
sound, are instead to be read as separate vowels in two
syllables. For example, in the spelling 'coöperate', the
diaeresis reminds the reader that the word has four syllables
co-op-er-ate, not three, '*coop-er-ate'. In British English this
usage has been considered obsolete for many years, and in US
English, although it persisted for longer, it is now considered
archaic as well.[5] Nevertheless, it is still used by the US
magazine The New Yorker.[6] In English language texts it is
perhaps most familiar in the spellings 'naïve', 'Noël', and
'Chloë'"
Wikipedia