Why is D unpopular?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Sat May 21 08:56:57 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 21 May 2022 at 03:03:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/19/2022 1:17 PM, Dukc wrote:
>> We can do a bit better. If an assert trips, the program will
>> go to unknown state, and there's no telling what it will do.
>> But that's still not quite the same as undefined behaviour.
>
> Yes, it is. Deliberately so. In fact, the program is *already*
> in an unknown state if it trips the assert.

I'm not sure if you read the rest of my post where I explained
the practical difference between unknown state and undefined
behaviour. Anyhow you do not address that. I did not dispute that
a failed assert means unknown state.

> This has been extensively and exhaustively debated several
> times in this n.g. I don't really want to re-litigate it.

Can you provide links? I'm interested in the topic and if there
are points brought up I have not considered, I don't want people
having to re-explain them to me.

> There were a few releases where the assert's got turned off to
> make the compiler go faster. Inevitably, some mysterious
> crasher bugs appeared. Turning the asserts back on detected
> these. The asserts are staying on.

I do agree that was a wise solution, and would be regardless
whether the spec says what it now does or what I'm proposing.