Why is D unpopular, redux.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat May 21 11:54:07 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 21 May 2022 at 03:55:41 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/20/2022 4:28 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> What stroke me in there is that almost everybody is missing
>> the point, but maybe that isn't so surprising, as there is a
>> self selection bias at play.
>
> But you don't say what the point is!

I do. I have done so repeatedly for a decade now.

There are holes in the foundations of the languages. These hole
prevent basic things from being possible at all. For instance,
containers.

But the focus has consistently been on other feature which are
nice to have. The problem, is that it doesn't matter how much
nice to have things you have - and I'll grant you that D has more
than most on this front - if there are holes in the foundations.

Lately, the focus has been on named argument, tuples, ImportC,
and a few other things. All good things. There are a couple of
these holes, but really, the limus test shoudl be: can i write a
custom container class that behaves lice builtin slice do? If so,
then we are probably in good shape. If not, then literally
anything else we add to the language is a net negative as it
increase complexity without tackling the bottleneck.