Why is D unpopular, redux.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 21 20:02:22 UTC 2022

On 5/21/2022 6:02 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> We've got a ton of good stuff in D, but we keep adding more rather than making
> sure that what we have is really good.

I can't help but think this is a bit of a quixotic quest. In mathematics, of
course, one strives for 100%. But in engineering, one goes for the 95% that is
at the center, not the edges.

For example, ImportC can *never* be 100% for various reasons. That doesn't mean
it can't still be immensely useful.

Windows isn't 100%, my iPhone isn't 100%, my car isn't 100%, etc. But they're
still very usable.

There isn't any software in active use on the planet that is 100%, that's why
there are endless updates to it.

We have only so many chips we can play. We can place them on fixing bugs, adding
new stuff, improving old features, etc. I try to prioritize them by what is most
effective for the most number of people. Inevitably, some people will find we
choose wrongly.

All I can suggest is keep making a case for the things you want, and most
importantly, *why* they are important.