Why is D unpopular, redux.

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Sun May 22 10:18:11 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 21 May 2022 at 21:24:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> For example, many years ago, only one person asked for User
> Defined Attributes (Manu). He made a compelling case for it. I
> implemented it. The result was a lot of pushback from the
> community.

I'll tell you why we didn't ask for them. We were brain-washed
into believing that the language needed to be minimalistic,
avoided feature creep, was easy for a compiler writer to
implement, etc. So, we just tried to emulate them with static
members in silence and pain. The compelling cases for UDAs have
been demonstrated by other languages long before Manu.