Why is D unpopular, redux.

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:46:25 UTC 2022

On Monday, 23 May 2022 at 03:13:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 5/22/2022 6:34 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> I would say it is not a breaking change. I write contracts so
>> that I know when my code is broken. When the compiler fails to
>> do so, then it is a bug in the compiler. If my code breaks
>> because this is fixed, then that means that my code **always
>> was broken to begin with**. I'd rather know about it.
>
> Fair enough, but I've fixed many broken features to find that
> people depended on them, and then complained that D is unstable.

Does that mean we need to complain more loudly that D is broken?
;-)

IMO, fear of breaking things is for projects who think they
already have the most users that they will ever have. If you
anticipate more people using D in the future, you should not let
the complaints of current users cause pain for future users.

At any rate, my personal oft-stated opinion is of course that the
rate of change is too small. (Though I can't complain too loudly,
since I've not exactly been making a lot of pull requests
lately...)