Why is D unpopular, redux.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue May 24 02:21:20 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 02:04:34 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
> this thread and the previous as well has a strong "conoisseur"
> bias.
> You finally ends up with testimonials from experts but in the
> end you still dont really know why mr rookie gave D up.

Obviously, the story is going to change from rookie to rookie,
but generally, you got to really nail something. because then you
get the people who have that very specific thing in need of
nailing as avid follower, and you move on the next niche.

For instance, Rust really nailed the whole ownership thing. I
remember 10 years ago Andrei pointing out that Rust skipped leg
day. he was right: D was better than Rust at everything but one
thing: ownership. Now Rust is better at many things.

Rust's story isn't unique, it is actually very common.

D main's problem is that it is good at many things, probably more
things than most, but it doesn't really nails anything.