Why is D unpopular, redux.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 24 09:09:36 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 06:02:23 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> - Every bugfix has to be rebased three times

No, you freeze nextgen 1 year before release and focus on polish.

Different people on experimental and nextgen. Experimental is for
new features (more than one branch), nextgen is for integration.

It should not be much different from what you have with a solid
process.

> Honestly, I don't understand this. We get maybe one or two bugs
> from DMD updates every half-a-year. What's the issues that
> cause so much upgrade costs?

You are hardcore. Many D users take breaks, then come back and
ask for a stable branch. If you want breaking changes you need a
buffer.

There are virtually no breaking changes in popular languages
people are used to: c++, go, python, javascript etc