Why is D unpopular?

Loara loara at noreply.com
Tue May 24 12:51:14 UTC 2022

On Monday, 23 May 2022 at 01:37:09 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> We actually have this in D, it's just written weirdly:
>
> ```d
> // debug assertion
> assert(condition);
>
> // release assertion
> if (!condition) assert(0);
> ```
>
> It would probably be more intuitive if we could write release
> assertions as plain `assert`, and use `debug assert` for debug
> assertions. But the functionality is there.

I think this is better
```d
  // debug assertion
  assert(condition);

  // release assertion
  if (!condition) throw new AssertError();
```
or also
```d
  // debug assertion
  assert(condition);

  // release assertion
  if (!condition) throw new MyCustomError("My error message");
```
so when your program fails the final  user is aware of what went
wrong.