Why is D unpopular, redux.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:09:54 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 11:38:55 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:
> I think we need a lot more people just jumping in and coding
> wildly ahead, and then sharing their results. An experimental
> branch? D3? Whatever must be changed to make that possible, I
> support it.

You need a solid modular architecture to support evolutionary
development. There is enough CPU power to take the overhead in
2022. Designing architecture is hard on-paper work, not something
you evolve though. So that is where one should start.

If you want merging to be easy then you need to select features
that are independent in each iteration. People working on random
things make the process harder and more brittle, but a solid
architecture and AST macros can help. Depends, only one type
system feature at a time for instance...

Maybe Neat and SDC could be joined and form a foundation?

Think O(N) and modularity and forget all other performance
metrics until you hit v1.0... Designing for flexibility is quite
challenging. GC is ok etc...