Why is D unpopular, redux.

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue May 24 17:56:51 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 17:25:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> > Should D have co-routines or should async/await be
> implemented? Then we need a document that explains to everybody
> what needs to be implemented so people can go pick a certain
> work package they want to implement.
>
> I've suggested many times that someone should work on
> async/await. You're free to contribute there, too.

I don't think this is enough. "You are free to contribute" is not
enough to motivate people. What is needed are work packages and
also design documents so that they know the details what to
implement. Having this also states the goals and vision of D.

Freely implementing something is no guarantee that it will be
merged to the D main branch. A stated goal and implementation
according to the design guarantees this which motivates people to
contribute.

Not having written goals, designs and what should be done will
just end up in a Half Life 3 situation.