design proposal process

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 25 00:14:55 UTC 2022

On 5/24/2022 4:36 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> When I report bug, they get fixed and it's great.
>
> When I report design problem, they get treated as bugs and we never get to the
> root of the issue and I'm wasting my time.

I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do with this as there's no link.

We *do* have a process for this:

1. bugs get reported on bugzilla
2. design bugs get reported on bugzilla as Enhancement Requests
3. significant design proposals get submitted as DIPs

What does not work and is not part of the process:

Reporting 1, 2 or 3 on the n.g. because then they scroll off the screen and
vanish, as there is no organized way to deal with them.

For discussion of ideas, if you want them to go anywhere, submit them to 1, 2 or
3. Then start a n.g. discussion, with a link to 1, 2 or 3.

People complain that the D Foundation does not have a process. It does. But it
doesn't work if people ignore the process and just post things to the n.g. The
forums are not a bug database.

It also doesn't work when people (not you) post bug reports to *closed* PR's!
Nobody looks at closed PRs. That can't possibly work.

BTW, The C and C++ Standards committees will TOTALLY IGNORE any and all
proposals that are not formal proposals submitted to the committee.