Why is D unpopular, redux.

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed May 25 00:26:28 UTC 2022

On 25.05.22 02:08, deadalnix wrote:

> 1/ Allocate a closure int he loop. This remains unsound by itself
> because the qualifier of the closure is not tracked, which lead to
> possible implicit sharing for instance and other nastyness. There is not
> enough information in the typesystem to solve this, so going at it bug
> by bug will simply be an exercise in wack a mole.

Well, I would not call this specific case "whack-a-mole". Doing this is
actually just a net positive as any unsoundness that remains is
orthogonal to it and does not require a loop to trigger.

Anyway, the nice thing about closure context type checking in particular
is that it's actually not so hard to get right, but it is certainly true
that someone has to do a comprehensive implementation.