The process described in the linked article could be a good thing for D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:02:31 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 00:15:56 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 22:44:36 UTC, forkit wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 18:07:30 UTC, max haughton wrote:
>>> https://sharedphysics.com/everything-is-important/#step-1-create-a-unified-view-of-all-existing-work
>>>
>>> We need step 1 (and then the others), but step 1 in
>>> particular is something we're missing.
>>>
>>> Suggestions as to how to implement this are appreciated.
>>
>> ummm..divide and conquer.
>>
>> to get a unified view of a business, for example, you divide
>> it into its components (sales, marketing, customer-service,
>> logistics, I.T, finance...etc).
>>
>> Then you ensure there is management, and competent management,
>> in those areas.
>>
>> Then you bring that management together, and try to get the
>> big picture.
>>
>> You replace those management who are unable to assist in this
>> process ;-)
>
> We don't have people enough to need to do that, what I mean is
> that we need to build systems on servers rather than brains to
> keep track of what people are doing and observe the effects.
>
> If we take Boyd's OODA loop as an abstraction to target we
> currently are struggling with step one and two: Observation is
> somewhat informal but not impossible, orientation is very hard
> because we can't easily keep track of what's happening in way
> that's accessible to either external readers or would-be
> volunteers.

You put too much faith in 'systems on servers' ;-)

There are six git repositories, and one issues repository.

At the very least, there should be a (separate) human in charge
of managing each, and also attracting, organising, and
delegating, to other talented humans, within each repository.

To the extent that the 'systems on servers' do not meet the needs
of those managing each repository, that is a matter for them to
attend to.

Managing is the key to success, not 'systems on servers'.

If there's failure in the D community, it is failure of managing.